Photo and Crochet

Welcome to the pages of Dieter and Joy

Everything concidered being a wreck is found in here...

Barge
Barge

A barge without a name sunk of Laem Parrang, a small island outside Sattahip, Thailand in some bad weather.

Bristol Beaufighter
Bristol Beaufighter
On 17 March 1943, 9 Beaufighters from 272 Sqn got airborne late morning, with the mission of protecting 9 other ‘Beaufort’ Light Bombers on raids to enemy shipping to the north. Shortly after take-off, one of the formation developed severe engine vibrations. Despite attempts to correct the problems, the Pilot, Sgt Donald Frazee had to inform his Navigator, Sgt Sandery that they were going to have to ‘Ditch’ (Land on Water). Losing height rapidly, Frazee landed on the water at about 100mph. The aircraft began to sink, but they were both able to climb out and inflate their life jackets, as the aircraft slipped below the waves! 5 minutes later, they were picked up by local Maltese Fishermen. They both later returned to active service.
Carolita
Carolita

The "Carolita" was designed by Walter Pollocks & Son of Faversham in Kent, England in 1915 as self-propelled lighter to carry field guns, troops, horses and land them on shelfing beaches. The X-131 "Carolita" took action in the Dardanelles Campaign during the Gallipoli landings in 1915. By 1921 the ship was in Malta and converted into a water barge. Renamed from Coralita to Coral and finally to Carolita the ship stayed in Malta until bombed and sunk in WWII. The sinking itself is still to be revealed since there are different informations. One source is saying that the ship was bombed while tied up in Grand Harbour and later scuttled at its present location. Another source was saying that the barge was tied up next to some submarines which where the target of the raid and the "Carolita" just got hit by mistake. However, the exact cause and time of the sinking is still unknown.

Cominoland
Cominoland

The "Cominoland" was in 1942 delivered to the Royal Navy as miner "M 6" and straight away renamed in "Miner VI". In 1966 the ship was converted to a ferry and delivered to Malta. Already in 1968 she was doing her duty between Valletta and Comino under the new name "Minor Eagle". Still used on the same route, Gozo Channel Co. Ltd took over the ship and renamed it in "Cominoland". 1980 the ex miner was converted to a day cruising passenger ship and again renamed in "Jylland II". The ship changed the owner ship again 1984, when Captain Morgan Cruises took over the Vessel and again renamed her back in "Cominoland". From than on the "Cominoland" was carrying passengers on day cruises to Comino and harbor cruises through Valletta harbors until she got decommissioned and final sunk of ix-Xatt l-Ahmar, Gozo in 2006.

HMS Maori
HMS Maori

The HMS Maori, a tribal class destroyer was built in 1937 by Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. (Govan, Scotland). HMS Maori joined WW II on 3rd September 1939 in the Mediterranean while visiting Alexandria. Immediately she joined her group to carry out escort duties until she arrived back in UK in October. Back home, next to her escort duties, the destroyer took part on various North Sea patrols. During one of this patrols the disabled submarine HMS Triad was towed into a Norwegian fijord in gale force winds. In March 1940 HMS Maori was refitted in Scotland and put back in to North Sea patrol where she was bombed and damaged by German aircraft in April 1940. The escorting ships Bison and HMS Afridi where sunk during the same attack while HMS Maori made it back to Scapa Flow to patch up her damages. In December 1940 the Maori was undergoing another major refit and send back on escort duty in January 1941 where she was together with HMS Cossack, HMS Sikh and HMS Zulu involved in the search for the German battleship Bismarck. By the end of 1941 the destroyer was dispatched to the Mediterranean. On 12th February 1942 at 0200 hours, while anchored at Malta, HMS Maori was attacked from the air and a bomb found its way into her engine and gear room. The Tribal blew up and sank, still moored at the emergency destroyer buoy at the entrance to Dockyard Creek. By the end of 1942, the Admiralty decided that her wreck should be lifted, moved out of Grand Harbor and set down off Sliema.

HMS Stubborn
HMS Stubborn

A total of 67 S-Class submarines were built: 29 were sold for scrap, 20 were lost during the war, 12 were sold to other navies and again were cut down for scrap iron, 4 were canceled before construction and were never built and 2 were scuttled. Of these two, one is HMS Stubborn.
Built by Cammell Laird & Co of Birkenhead UK and Launched on 11 Nov 1942 these 66 meters long S-Class submarine pennant number ‘P238’ was armed with 13 x 21 inch torpedoes. She has 6 bow torpedo tubes & 1 stern tube, 1 x 3” Gun in front of the conning tower and 1 x 20 mm Oerlikon machine gun at the back. She had a crew of 44-48 under the command of Lieutenant Duff, and later on in 1944, under Lieutenant Davies. She served in the North Sea and the Baltic Sea and had her share of difficult times in these cold waters which instigated submariners’ fear on many occasions. In 1946 she was finally scuttled off Qawra Point.

HTMS Khram
HTMS Khram

The Thai navy has sunk a decommissioned warship near Koh Phai and Koh Larn islands off Pattaya to turn it into a breeding ground for marine life.

Vice-Admiral Somjai Wattanayothin, chief-of-staff of the Royal Fleet at the Satahip naval base, said the decommissioning of H.T.M.S KHRAM was a navy project to mark His Royal Highness Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn’s 50th birthday.

The United States gave this ship (Former USS LSM-469) renamed HTMS KHRAM to the Thai navy on the 25 May 1962. The ship, now dilapidated beyond repair, has been in use for more than 60 years. It now lies about 300 meters from Koh Phai in 30m of water.

HTMS Kut
HTMS Kut

The Thai navy has sunk a decommissioned warship near Koh Larn in Pattaya Bay to create a second artificial reef and marine breeding ground in honor of the King of Thailand’s 60th year on the throne.

The United States gave this ship (Former USS LSM-338) renamed HTMS KUT to the Thai navy during 1962. The ship, now dilapidated beyond repair, has been in use for more than 60 years. It now lies just slightly North of Koh Sak in around 30 meters of water.

Imperial Eagle
Imperial Eagle

This Vessel was built in 1938 in England and named "New Royal Lady". The 45 meters measuring ferry could accommodate 70 passengers and 10 cars. In 1958 the ship came to Malta named "Crested Eagle". The same year she was renamed to "Imperial Eagle" and brought into service as ferry between Marfa (Malta) and Mgarr (Gozo). Her last duties where to carry livestock and cargo between Valletta and Mgarr. In November 1995 found the "Imperial Eagle" it's final resting place as part of a planned marine park just outside Qwara in a depth of 42 meters.

Karwela
Karwela

The Karwela was built in 1957 in Germany carrying the name M/S Frisia II. With up to 863 passengers, the Frisia II was in service between Norderney and Norddeich until 1977. In 1977 she was sold and renamed in Nordpaloma. After the company went bankrupt, the ship was delivered to Malta, where she was taken over by Captain Morgan and renamed in MV Karwela. As MV Karwela the ship was carrying passengers on day cruises around Malta and Comino until she got decommissioned and finally sunk of ix-Xatt l-Ahmar, Gozo in 2006.

Lockeed P2V (P-2) Neptune
Lockeed P2V (P-2) Neptune

p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; }a:link { }

Lockheed P2V (P-2) Neptune was a U.S. built maritime patrol aircraft and submarine hunter. Royal Air Force operated Neptune MR.1 airplanes, a British designation of P2V-5. The twin-engine plane was about 24 m in length with 30 m wingspan.

This Lockheed Neptune MR.1 with serial number WX547 was damaged beyond repair during a routine landing at Luqa airport in Malta on Friday 13th January 1956. The undercarriage collapsed and the aircraft never flew again. Royal Air Force removed all salvageable parts and the plane was sold for filming purposes in May 1957. Neptune was scuttled and then used for the underwater scenes in The Silent Enemy movie released in 1958.

Other Wreckage
Other Wreckage
Everything sunk, dumped or lost under water can be found in this album.
P29 - Boltenhagen
P29 - Boltenhagen

The "P 29" originally named "Boltenhagen" was built in 1970 as condor I class minesweeper in Wolgast for the former East German navy. After the German unification the ship was sold to Malta together with the sister ships "P 30", ex. "Ueckermuende" and the "P 31" ex. "Pasewalk", where they where used for border duties. The "P 29" has an overall length of 51.98 meters, a beam of 7.12 meters and a draft of 2.3 meters. The two Russian MD 40 diesel engines powered her up to 4000 hp and gave her a speed of 20 knots.

P31 - Pasewalk
P31 - Pasewalk

Images captured on the former East-German mine sweeper

Scott Craigh
Scott Craigh

The Scotscraig was one of three ferrys serving between Dundee and Newport on the river Tay in Scotland. The service was discontinued up on opening the Tay road bridge in August 1966. There are no records found how the ship came to Malta. However it was taking part on the filming of Popeye the Sailor in Malta as supply barge. At some point the Vessel sunk just outside Anchor Bay while being towed towards Valletta.