Home / Albums / Dieter's Pages / Photoalbum / Places / Malta / Ruins and Historic Remains / Manikata Barracks [20]

Manikata Barracks where established in 1902 when the Admirality started to take land from local farmers to establish a Royal Marines Training Center. By 1910, a formal military camp was in place consisting of timber "Crimea Huts" which were later replaced with more permanent masonry replacements. During World War One the camp was covered in tents and used as military hospital. In 1935 when Benito Mussolini, the ruler of Italy invaded Ethiopia in Africa the British suspected an attempt to invade Malta and built various gun posts around the beach and the camp. At the outbreak of World War Two a anti aircraft battery was added. Due to the presence of the admirality camp Manikata was often target for air raids. Throughout the immediate post-war years up to the late 1960s, the Ghajn Tuffieha Camp represented one of the busiest spots on the island for military training for both British and NATO forces. In the late 1970s the lower camp was converted into the Hal Ferh tourism accommodation complex. In order to convert the functional, pragmatic and starkly military appearance of the buildings into something more suitable for touristic purposes, additional arches and redecoration took place. Internally, the barracks were fully redecorated and refitted. Currently (January 2012) the lower camp is due to be converted in to a luxury holiday complex consisting of 218 suites and 12 pavilion suites. According to local news works should have started by the end of 2011.