1/2
Home / Albums / Keyword lazzaretto /

Marsamxett harbour - Lazzaretto 01

2019_11_23EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi0371-places.jpg ThumbnailsMarsamxett harbour - Lazzaretto 02ThumbnailsMarsamxett harbour - Lazzaretto 02ThumbnailsMarsamxett harbour - Lazzaretto 02ThumbnailsMarsamxett harbour - Lazzaretto 02ThumbnailsMarsamxett harbour - Lazzaretto 02ThumbnailsMarsamxett harbour - Lazzaretto 02ThumbnailsMarsamxett harbour - Lazzaretto 02

The Lazzaretto on Manoel Island was built in 1643 by the Grand Master of the Order of St. John, Giovanni Paolo Lascaris as isolation hospital for quarantine purposes.
It also served as a military hospital for British, French and Italian soldiers during the Crimean War.
The Lazzaretto remained in use by the health authorities until 1939, when it was requisitioned by the Admiralty to be used for military purposes during World War II. Between 1941 and 1942, it was used as a submarine depot. During this time it was bombed several times by German and Italian aircraft and heavily damaged.
The Lazzaretto reopened as a hospital in 1949, and remained so until the departure of the Royal Navy from Malta in the 1970s. It was subsequently abandoned, and it fell into a state of disrepair.

Author
Dieter Achtelstetter
Dimensions
4272*2848
Filesize
11977 KB
Visits
206
Rating score
no rating
Rate this photo

0 comments