In 1901 a plot of land was donated to the Franciscan Friars Minor to build their own convent and erect a church. The plans for the convent were drawn by Fr.Joseph Diacono. The work commenced immediately and the first part of the convent was completed in 1902. The bishop Mons Giovanni M.Camilleri blessed a temporary chapel. All the construction of the church was paid for by Joseph Sultana a businessman from Nadur. In charge of the building was Mr Wigi Vella who was also responsible for the design. On completion, Bishop Camilleri blessed the church on the 28th of October 1906.