Wat Phra Si Sanphet - 11
The history of the Wat Phra Si Sanphet spans several centuries. The first structures were built during the 14th century. During the reign of later Ayutthaya Kings structures were added until the temple reached the peak of its glory in the second half of the 17th century.It starts halfway the 14th century when U Thong, first King of Ayutthaya, built several chedis on the site near the Royal palace. When King Borommatrailokkanat ordered a new palace built in 1448, he converted the old palace into a Royal monastery.In 1491 King Ramathibodi II built two large chedis to enshrine the ashes of his father and older brother. Several years later the King had a 50 meter long viharn built East of the chedis to enshrine a large gilded image of the Buddha named Phra Si Sanphet. The temple then got its present name.Another three decades later a third chedi was constructed to enshrine the ashes of King Ramathibodi II. During the reign of King Narai in the second half of the 17th century a large cross shaped viharn named Prasat Phra Narai was constructed directly West of the central platform supporting the three stupas.The temple was largely destroyed by the Burmese armies in 1767, leaving only its three massive stupas standing.
Uploaded on July 10, 2022
License for images free to download:
Creative Commons CC BY-NC-ND 4.0
The average rating is 2.97.