Flolriana - Image

Flolriana - Saint Publius Parish Church

The first stone of the Church of St. Publius was laid down on 2 August 1733 by Bishop Paul Alphéran de Bussan. Construction was complete by 17 January 1768, when the relic of Saint Publius was brought to the church.The façade of the church began to be rebuilt in 1771, and the dome was constructed in 1780. It became a vice-parish in 1776, and the church was consecrated by Bishop Vincenzo Labini on 20 March 1792. It became a parish in March 1844, after a decree was issued by Pope Gregory XVI.Part of the churchs façade and its dome were destroyed by aerial bombardment during World War II, when it was hit by bombs on 3–4 March and 28 April 1942 and sixteen people were killed. The nearby Sarria Church became a temporary parish church until the Church of St. Publius was reopened on 10 December 1944. The church is scheduled as a Grade 1 national monument, and it is also listed on the National Inventory of the Cultural Property of the Maltese Islands.

Leave a Comment:
Your comment

Flolriana - Saint Publius Parish Church

by Dieter

Uploaded on July 4, 2022

Image Details
Camera: Canon
Creation Date: 2016:10:03 20:14:35
Image width: 4272 px
Image height: 2848 px
Image size: 4.95MB
Aperature: f/6.3
Exposure: 1/800
ISO - speed: 200

License for images free to download:
Creative Commons CC BY-NC-ND 4.0

Please give the image a rating.

The average rating is 2.91.

Copyright © by Dieter Achtelstetter - All Rights Reserved