St. Pawl - St. Paul Shipwrecked tal-Huggiega
A Byzantine Christian church stood on this site. The Arabs demolished it but it was rebuilt in 1090. A later building was still standing around 1610 and rebuilt after the 1693 earthquake. Grandmaster Alof Wignacourt built it again a few meters away. It is of rectangular design inside with an outside loggia. Its architect, Vittorio Cassar also designed the Wignacourt Tower nearby. Damaged in WWII, (the old paintings being saved by the Franciscan friars), the church was reconstructed to the original design of Cassar, re-opened and blessed in 1956. The building and paintings were recently restored.
Uploaded on July 5, 2022
|Model:||Canon PowerShot A630|
|Creation Date:||2011:06:02 08:03:37|
|Image width:||3264 px|
|Image height:||2448 px|
|ISO - speed:||Unavailable|
License for images free to download:
Creative Commons CC BY-NC-ND 4.0
The average rating is 2.94.