Fort Saint Angelo (Birgu, Malta) was originally built during medieval times and was known as Castrum Maris (Castel by the sea). It was rebuilt by the Order of Saint John between 1530 and 1560 and renamed to Fort Saint Angelo. The fort was used as the orders headquarters during the Great Siege of Malta 1565. Another major reconstruction took place around 1690 giving the fort its approximate current appearance. From 1800 to 1979 Fort Saint Angelo was occupied by the British and classified as a stone frigate known as HMS Egmont and later as HMS St Angelo.
In 2012 a European Regional Development Fund was allocated for restoration, conservation and reuse of the Fort as visitor attraction. The restoration was completed in September 2015 and is currently (2023) open to the public.